How to set hair goals for 2012 (or any other year...)

By . - Monday, November 28, 2011


There is about 33 days left until we enter the year 2012. Are you excited? I know that I am! I don't participate in 'New Year Resolutions' because they never work since no one ever sticks to them. However, I do set goals that I believe are achievable so that I don't find myself sitting in the same space as the previous year. So let's chat about setting hair goals for the new year.


S = Specific

M = Measurable

A = Attainable

R = Realistic

T = Timely

Specific 

If you can answer the What, Why & How questions for your goal, then it is specific. Setting a goal of healthier hair is not specific. Setting a goal of a thicker hairline and thicker edges is specific!

Measurable

Establish concrete criteria for measuring progress toward the attainment of each goal you set. When you measure your progress, you stay on track, reach your target dates, and experience the exhilaration of achievement that spurs you on to continued effort required to reach your goals. If you can’t measure it, you can’t manage it.

Attainable

Goals you set which are too far out of your reach, you probably won’t commit to doing. Although you may start with the best of intentions, the knowledge that it’s too much for you means your subconscious will keep reminding you of this fact and will stop you from even giving it your best.

Realistic

Realistic, in this case, means “do-able.” You are not going to grow your hair to waist length in one year if you are currently at Nape length. Hair only grows 15cm (6inches) a year, so let's be realistic here.

Timely

If you don’t set a time, the commitment is too vague. It tends not to happen because you feel you can start at any time. Without a time limit, there’s no urgency to start taking action now.

Now we know how to set SMART goals!

My SMART goal is to have grown my hair to 

waist length by December 31, 2012. I plan on 

achieving this goal by:
  1. Protective styling 10 out of the 12 months of the year.
  2. Deep conditioning twice a week.
  3. Moisturizing and sealing daily.
I should be getting 1.25cm of growth per month, which will equal 

15cm by year end. I will do a length check once ever 12 to 13 

weeks to track progress This will be enough to get me to waist 

length by December 31, 2012

Have a Good Hair Day!!!

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Leave a comment and show some love!